By Nannette Richford, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Vinegar, salt, and dish detergent provide a simple solution to a big problem with weeds in your yard. Getting rid of those hard to control weeds without using toxins in your yard is always a challenge. Commercial products can be dangerous to children and pets or be harmful for the environment. They also tend to be quite expensive. This homemade solution will knock off the weeds in no time. Not only will you create a safe weed killer, you’ll save money too.
If you have large areas of weeds that you want to get rid of, the first recipe is for you. It does take a few moments of preparation time, but it will kill any vegetation it comes in contact with. Care must be taken to spray only the weeds you want to kill, avoiding spraying lawns and flowers.
Weed Killer Recipe #1
1 gallon distilled vinegar
1-cup household salt
1 tbsp dish detergent
Mix all ingredients in large kettle and heat over medium heat until the salt is completely dissolved. It is not necessary to boil the solution.
Set aside to cool.
Once the vinegar solution has cooled, pour it into a spray bottle.
If you only have a few weeds to take care of and want a quick and easy solution that doesn’t require heating or waiting time, then this recipe is for you.
Weed Killer #2
1 tbsp gin
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp dish detergent
1 quart water
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and pour into a spray bottle.
Both weed killer recipes will kill any vegetation they contact. Be careful to spray only the weeds you want to kill and not your lawn or flowers.
These are especially well suited for killing those annoying weeds that spring up in walkways or around foundations and decks. Once treated with the homemade weed killer, weeds will shrivel and die within hours leaving your walkway free from undesirable weeds.
These homemade weed killers are quick and easy to make for a fraction of the cost of commercial products and use common household ingredients that are probably already in your cupboard. They are safe for the environment and won’t harm children or pets once applied.
These solutions should be stored in a safe location away from pets and children. Although the ingredients are nontoxic, they may irritate mucus membranes or cause nausea if ingested.